With the help of vegetable and fruit carving, you can create complex decorative compositions and still lifes. Although this art requires special skills, its simplest techniques are accessible to all.
Although this art requires special skills, its simplest techniques are accessible to all.
You need to start mastering art with a simple
Having mastered the elementary techniques, you can create real masterpieces
To create the simplest works it is not necessary to use special tools. A sharp knife with a thin and flexible blade and a little patience are enough. If you are planning to seriously engage in carving, you should stock up on a set of special tools:
- Thai knife: the main tool with which not to do when carving small parts; has a narrow and short sharply honed blade;
- crescent knife: similar to Thai, but its blade is wider, larger patterns are cut out with it;
- long knife: looks like a regular kitchen, but has a narrowed blade; is a universal tool and can be used with any kind of carving;
- carbing knives for cutting leaves, petals and other plant ornaments: they can be oval, V-shaped, round or square, wide or narrow;
- knives for canneling (creating grooves);
- small scissors with thin blades to give the edges a decorative shape;
- spoon for removing the pulp;
- carving to remove the core of apples or pears and create grooves in the patterns: it looks like a knife with a tip in the form of a circle;
- grease: a tool for removing the thinnest layer of cheese and other soft foods;
- toothpicks and gelatin for bonding parts.
To create the simplest works it is not necessary to use special tools. Sufficiently sharp knife with a thin and flexible blade and a little patience
If you are planning to seriously engage in carving, you should stock up on a set of special tools.
Tip! Finished work can boil or fry. For example, making flowers from soft boiled carrots and beets is more difficult. Therefore, in the beginning they make the figures, and then boil them for a couple. Raw potato blanks can be deep-fried.
Preparation of vegetables and fruits
Practically any vegetables are used for carving: Bulgarian and hot peppers, radishes, cucumbers, pumpkins, cabbage, potatoes, tomatoes, etc. Of fruits, apples, oranges, lemons, melons and watermelons are most suitable for work.
The main thing is that vegetables and fruits are smooth and smooth, with a minimum amount of pulp and seeds. Overripe fruits will not keep their shape, so you should not use them. Their color range is also important.
The main thing is that vegetables and fruits are smooth and smooth, with a minimum amount of pulp and seeds. Overripe fruits will not keep their shape, so they should not be used.
All vegetables and fruits are thoroughly washed and dried. Dense vegetables (potatoes, radish, celery or ginger) are best to get out of the fridge - they warm up a little and become more plastic.
Apples and quince, prone to darkening, pre-sprinkled with a solution of vinegar, lemon juice. So that the carrot does not break when working, it is soaked in salt water for a couple of hours. Cucumbers and tomatoes should choose the most dense, with a minimum amount of juice.
Tip! Fruit and vegetable blanks can be stored in cold water for several days. So that they do not darken, they are sprinkled with lemon juice and diluted gelatin from a spray bottle. Watery fruits are not soaked - during storage they are only periodically sprayed with water.
The simplest examples of carving
With the help of virtuoso carving you can create unusually beautiful edible paintings and ornaments from vegetables and fruits. However, even the simplest works can be quite effective - the most important thing is to apply diligence and ingenuity.
We present to your attention the simplest carving of vegetables and fruits with step by step photos:
- You can make an original flower using a usual potato peeler - for its petals, it is enough to cut around, for example, a radish, the thinnest layer, roll it into a tight spiral with the pulp inwards, and then straighten it;
- You can make a spectacular basket or stroller for fruit, ice cream or baking from a pumpkin, watermelon or melon; for this, it is better to preliminarily prepare a piece of paper and cut the edges and handle along it with a sharp knife; such a product can be decorated with carvings in the form of a floral ornament;
Oval Melon Ship
Bunny-vase for fruits and berries
Watermelon Fruit Stroller
So originally you can serve summer treats.
Kids will be delighted with these figures
Pigeons, carved on a watermelon, will decorate the wedding table
- from a small pumpkin you get funny cups in the form of a tiger cub head, cat, bear cub or monkey; ears and other parts are glued with gelatin; instead of eyes, halves of olives or pieces of eggplant are used;
- You can get bright callas from hot pepper in a couple of minutes, if you cut it along the length from the stem to the tip, carefully remove the seeds along with the stem, and then round the edges of the pepper with a knife; now closer to the edge of the pepper we make a small hole and insert seeds into it along with the stem; bright flower ready.
Original Round Melon Vase
Melons, watermelons and pumpkins are ideal for carving
Similar decorations are very popular in tropical countries where fruits grow year round.
Funny owlet from pineapple
Tip!To get through holes in the thick-walled pumpkin or zucchini, you can use a drill or a drill.
To create such a masterpiece will take no more than 30 minutes
Cut the watermelon in half and use a special spoon to take out all the pulp from one half
The crust from the other half will be used as sails
Such a ship will be the main decoration for children's birthday
By analogy with a pirate ship, you can make a turtle
Cut the watermelon in half. One half will serve as a vase for berries and fruits.
From the bark of the second half cut out the turtle shell
Be careful when cutting the paws - the skin can burst
Attach the legs to the shell need using gelatin and skewers
Terrific painstaking work - watermelon bear
Elephant Carved on Watermelon Peel
Spectacular dark red roses
Unusual flowers can be made from the thin edges of the foliage of red cabbage and cucumber cups. For this:
- cabbage removed upper coarse leaves;
- thin scissors cut the edges of sheets 2-3 cm wide;
- petals are formed from the resulting bands: on one strip, depending on its length, they may be 2-3 or more;
- the round tip is cut off at the cucumber and the pulp is removed; the edges of the resulting cup are shaped with teeth using scissors;
- ready-made cabbage petals are carefully inserted into each cucumber cup;
- several rosettes are prepared this way: the buds are made of tightly twisted petals, and fully bloomed flowers are made of straightened ones;
- the stem is made from the pulp of any dense vegetable - for example, radishes or cabbage veins; onions are put on him to be green;
- each flower on the stem is attached with a toothpick;
- foliage can be cut from leek or green apple.
Watermelon and Melon Roses
Tip!In carving technique, the sharpness of the instrument is the most important. Poorly sharpened knives or knives of poor quality steel will knead the workpiece.
Photo workshop on the creation of roses from strawberries
For the convenience of working with a berry, put it on a skewer
These roses will be edible decoration of the sweet table.
More complex work is more convenient to perform using special tools. For this work, you need a slightly flattened oval harvesting of potatoes or large carrots. It is better to take carrots without a pronounced core - otherwise the flower will exfoliate:
- for a start, retreat from the edge of a couple of millimeters and cut a circle of 7-9 petals in a circle with an oval knife of medium size the knife should go deep enough into the pulp, but not to the very edge of the workpiece;
- prepare the second row of petals; for this, the pulp under the petals of the first row is cut off; you do not need to delete too much - the number of rows should be as large as possible;
- flower tongues have different sizes, so they should be cut with different knives;
- the last make out the thinnest knife core.
With the same technology, you can make a flower out of potatoes
Original vegetable bouquets
The whole composition of various vegetables and fruits
Tip! The resulting masterpiece can be saved for a long time, if it is first dried in the attic or near the battery, and then varnished. Of course, it will be impossible to eat it after varnishing.
Salads, meat or fish dishes can be decorated with elegant snow-white chrysanthemum. To make the petals thin and lay naturally, it is better to take a small thin-walled onion:
- after cleaning, it should be slightly cut off the top and bottom (no more than half a centimeter);
- with a thin knife, cut the onion in a criss-cross pattern, not cutting to the bottom 0.5 cm;
- the incision should begin at the top, from which the feather grows;
- if the cut is shallow, then the flower will not open well, but if the “open” head is almost to the end, then it can simply fall apart;
- we again cut the onion crosswise so that the cutting line falls on the center of the previous sections;
- continue to make cross-sections to get the maximum number of slices;
- no need to try to separate the slices with your hands, otherwise the flower will break; the bulb must simply be put in cold water for an hour - the chrysanthemum will blossom itself; if the walls of the onion are more dense (it depends on its variety), it may take more than an hour to bloom the flower;
- for dyeing chrysanthemum, you can dip it in food coloring, beetroot, cherry juice, black currant juice, red wine or saffron tincture; you can not shade the whole flower, but only its tips.
Flower theme - a favorite for carving experts
Rose, chrysanthemum, orchid, lotus flower - you can do everything from vegetables and fruits
Such compositions will be an original decoration on the banquet table.
Tip! A bulb flower may also have larger lobules. To make it, you need to cut only the top two layers into four parts, gently unbend the first layer of petals, and remove the second one with a knife. Do the same with the following layers. In the finished flower, the petals are distributed in staggered order relative to each other.
Rose Tomato, Orange or Lemon
For the manufacture of this bright flower does not need special tools - only sharp otozhenny knife:
- cut the tomato in half;
- cut the resulting half into small equal semicircular slices;
- "stretch" sliced tomato on the board, trying not to dislodge any of its parts;
- gently twirl one of the edges of our figure;
- to move the finished flower to a dish, you should clasp it on both sides with your hands and squeeze tightly;
- with a small sharp knife, cut out for a rose a pair of green leaves from the skin of a cucumber; You can make them from thin strips of cucumber, folded in half;
- we will make the same flower of orange or lemon; they should be cut into very thin slices along with the skin.
Rosette of orange is very easy to make.
You can build a flower out of beets
Potatoes can also be an excellent material for floral arrangements.
Tip! Decorations must be combined with the dish to taste. Hot fish or meat is better to decorate with tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers. Seafood in perfect harmony with lemon. Fruit is the perfect decoration for dessert.
Peking cabbage chrysanthemum
For work, you will need an oval or triangular carbing knife with a special groove and a small, tight cabbage head:
- at the head of cabbage, the upper leaves and the coarse lower part of the stalk are removed so that the leaves do not fall apart;
- its upper part is cut off almost by half so that from the place of attachment of leaves in the area of the former stalk remains 12-15 cm;
- we will work only with large streaks of cabbage, its green parts are completely removed;
- using a cutting knife along the veins, thin sections of different lengths are made from the top to the center of the head; closer to the stalk the knife goes deeper - we must get the petals, thin at the edges and more dense towards the center;
- subsequent rows are also cut off; closer to the center we make the petals shorter;
ready flower is put in cold water; after half an hour, the thin petals should bend, and the chrysanthemum will acquire an elegant form.
Tip! For the development of vegetable and fruit carving for beginners (see photo) it is not necessary to purchase a whole set of tools. Some of them can be made independently. For example, you can make a carbing knife using a thin olive lid. It is bent at an angle so that the groove is obtained. For carving, you can use any tools for carving.
Multi-flower radish flower
You can quickly make such a flower with the help of a usual sharp knife. For this, the upper and lower parts are slightly cut from the radish and several parallel cuts are made on the sides of the root. The more often they are located, the more elegant the flower will be.
Lush radish flowers
The second radish is cut into thin circles-petals. The resulting petals are carefully inserted into the slots of the first radish.
To master the carving of fruits and vegetables is better for a photo or video.