Sleep is an integral part of life, on the quality of which human well-being and human health in general depend. During pregnancy, there may be some difficulties with organizing sleep - in the early stages, hormonal changes in the body become the cause, and in the late period of gestation - physical discomfort when choosing a posture due to an increased tummy.
Pose for sleep during pregnancy
Healthy sleep during pregnancy is especially important - at this time in the woman's body there are big changes that can lead to a deterioration of the immune system, which leads to diseases of various kinds. A full night and day rest helps to restore strength for the safe development of pregnancy.
When choosing a posture for sleeping, a pregnant woman should consider not only the possibility of a comfortable position for herself, but also the level of safety for her unborn baby. For this, the expectant mother needs to know about safe and forbidden poses.
At the initial stage of pregnancy, a woman may not think about the correct posture for sleeping - the fetus is still too small for the probability of its damage or oppression from the incorrect position of the mother’s body.
If a woman before the onset of pregnancy had a habit of sleeping on her stomach, then it is worth starting to get rid of her as soon as possible. After all, at a later date, the expectant mother can unconsciously roll over on her stomach, thereby causing harm to the health of the baby.
But in some cases, already in the first trimester, the pregnant woman experiences discomfort and discomfort from sleeping on her stomach — this is due to the increased sensitivity of the mammary glands during this period.In the absence of discomfort for a pregnant woman, it is not forbidden to sleep on your stomach during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy.
After 12 weeks of pregnancy, the belly begins to grow and sleep on the stomach from now on, the woman is prohibited. Otherwise, the blood supply and nutrition of the child is disrupted.
Up to 24 weeks, the future mommy can still sleep on her back. But the correct position of the body from the second trimester is the left side. With this position, the blood circulation and the work of the heart are not disturbed, there is no compression of the liver. All these factors ensure the supply of essential nutrients to the fetus and do not hinder the normal development of pregnancy.
And there are also no restrictions for a short sleep on the right side, especially when the fetus is biased, when the head of the child is on the right side.
If the presentation of the fetus is pelvic, then the pregnant woman is recommended to roll over from one side of the body to the other up to 5 times per night.Until the middle of the second trimester, a pregnant woman can sleep on her back without harming her health and the baby’s condition.
This period of pregnancy for the future mother is the most difficult - a big belly and the limited choice of poses for day and night rest are often causes of poor sleep, and, as a result, there is rapid fatigue and irritability.
In the third trimester, pregnant women cannot sleep on the stomach (even physically it is already impossible), as well as on the back - this threatens to squeeze the inferior vena cava, which carries venous blood throughout the body to the heart. If the circulatory function is impaired in a child in the womb, hypoxia may develop, which is explained by poor blood supply to the placenta. As well as squeezing the vena cava as a result of sleeping on the back often provokes the appearance of varicose veins, hemorrhoids, back pain and a decrease in blood pressure in a pregnant woman.
In late periods of waiting for a baby, prolonged sleep on the right side is undesirable - this can lead to stagnation in the right kidney (and subsequently pyelonephritis), caused by the pressure of the growing fetus on the internal organs.
Since it is uncomfortable to sleep only on the left side of the body throughout half of the second and the entire third trimester, it is possible to roll over to the opposite side for a short period.In late pregnancy, the choice of correct sleeping positions is limited to the left side of the body.
Devices for a comfortable sleep
For comfortable sleep, pregnant women often use pillows - regular, sofa, special.
When sleeping on the left side, a pillow located under the bent right leg will help remove part of the load from the pelvic area and prevent the appearance of edema of the legs. At the same time the left leg should be straightened.
To eliminate the appearance of back pain from sleeping on your side, you can slightly recline on your back, putting a small pillow under it or a blanket rolled up in a roller.
A comfortable cushion can be a cushion located between knees bent at the feet while lying on one side of the body. And also it is not forbidden to put a pillow under the belly.
In the later stages of pregnancy, women often suffer from heartburn or shortness of breath - a grown-up baby shifts its internal organs, which causes discomfort. In this case, you should take a half-prone position - you can put a few pillows under your back and head.
The use of a roller or a small pillow, located under the feet, helps relieve tension, cramps and swelling of the lower extremities, which favorably affects sleep.
But a special place in the organization of comfortable sleep occupy special pillows for pregnant women. They are distinguished by the forms presented in the form of letters: G, U, V, L, I, C. The dimensions of these pillows are different - each woman can choose this necessary item to sleep to your taste and in accordance with the dimensions of the bed. But they have one function - to provide a comfortable accommodation for a pregnant woman during rest. These pillows support the stomach (sometimes the head), some of them make it impossible to roll on their backs uncontrollably, it is convenient to tilt the leg on them. In this special pillows for future mothers can be used in the postpartum period - when feeding the baby and as a support for the back of the child during his sitting.
Photo gallery: types of pillows for pregnant women
- The cushion in the handicap of the letter G is large and multifunctional.
- U-shaped pillow supports the belly and head of a pregnant woman, and also does not allow her to roll over on her back
- The boomerang or V-shaped pillow is compact and allows you to take a comfortable posture for sleeping
- A pillow in the shape of L is enclosed with a short side under the head, and a long one - under the back, protecting it from unconscious coups on it, and also makes it possible to throw back the leg
- I-shaped pillow is compact and designed to twist into the desired shape
- The pillow in the shape of the letter C is universal and suitable for use during pregnancy, as well as when feeding a baby.
As well as special pillows can be filled with various materials:
- Sintepon. Not suitable for use by allergies and asthmatics, as it contains a harmful impurity in the form of glue. Pillows filled with padding polyester are not long-term - they quickly lose their shape, lumping into lumps. Objects with this filler may harm the health of the pregnant woman.
- Holofiber Soft, hypoallergenic, environmentally friendly material that does not absorb odors and sweat. Pillows with such a filler quickly restore their shape after washing (both manual and machine) and collapsing.
- Styrofoam. The filler is in the form of granules, similar to foam balls. Hard, durable, environmentally friendly material. Pillow with polystyrene foam can not be washed in the machine.
- Artificial down. Synthetic, hypoallergenic, lightweight material. Quickly dries after washing and easily restores the former form.
On the modern market there is a wide choice of pillows for pregnant women, thanks to which every expectant mother is able to find her ideal version.
In my opinion, most pregnant women experience discomfort when choosing a comfortable posture during a night of rest. I was no exception - with the rapid growth of the abdomen from the middle of the second trimester, there were sleep disorders associated with the problem of taking a comfortable position. I did not acquire a special pillow, but I used a lot of usual pads and rollers of various shapes and sizes. It seems to me that over time, any girl "in position" gets used to her new figure and finds the optimal postures and devices for organizing sleep - this is just a temporary and inconvenience.
Organization of night rest during pregnancy
Often, future moms suffer from sleep disorders or insomnia. Their appearance can be caused by hormonal changes, heartburn, frequent urge to urinate, skin itching due to its stretching, baby movements, inability to take the desired posture during sleep, as well as nervous overstrain, anxiety, stress and others. These problems should be fought for the normalization of night rest - the dream of a pregnant woman should last at least 8 hours.
To get rid of insomnia, the following actions help:
- maintaining moderate physical activity throughout the day;
- exclusion of stress and conflict situations;
- temporary refusal of day rest;
- restriction of the liquid consumed before bedtime;
- light dinner preference for heavy;
- taking a relaxing bath or a back and foot massage before a night's rest;
- use of sedatives: glycine, valerian or motherwort (after consulting a doctor).
Thus, in the fight against insomnia, there are many ways.
But for a strong and healthy sleep, as well as in the quality of insomnia prevention, experts recommend:
- Regularly ventilate the room and take a walk before bedtime.
- Choose comfortable for sleeping clothes.
- Sit on comfortable pillows and a mattress.
- Making light snacks, if necessary - it is difficult to fall asleep with a feeling of hunger.
With the observance of these elementary rules for organizing night rest, the risks of insomnia and other sleep disorders are reduced.
After a healthy sleep, the expectant mother should feel rested and in a good mood.
Video: sleep during pregnancy
The choice of correct and comfortable positions, the use of devices in the form of various pillows, as well as competent organization of sleep contribute to a good night's rest during pregnancy. And also the expectant mother needs daytime sleep - during this period a woman should rest as much as possible and gain strength before the birth of the baby.